Feb 25, 2012

Lobster Roll in NYC....believe it baby!


It's taken me a while to write another post.  I wanted it to be based off of a food truck, and due to the up and down weather, I haven't felt much like food truck chasing.  However, I came across a food truck I was dying to try.  I went on their website to see where they would be, showed up to the location 10 minutes early.  10 minutes turned to 15 minutes which turned to me googling on my iphone where the truck was via my twitter (@tammicupcake - shameless plug opportunity).  Low and behold, I was a WEEK too early. Bad news soon turned great because I saw that they would be at Brooklyn Flea that weekend.  I made my way to the overly crowded flea market and finally dived into a lobster roll...

RED HOOK LOBSTER POUND 
FOOD TRUCK

THE MENU
Given the options, it was only right to try the Lobster Roll...


I had heard from my DC folk that their lobster rolls are covered in mayo to the point of nauseation!  Maybe it's just the ones in DC, because this one I tried in NYC was Ah-Maze-Zing!!!  There was barely any mayo, lots and lots of lobster claw, they poured some melted butter over it and covered it in scallions.  It was literally one of the best I've had.  The only thing that would have made it slightly better was if the bun was toasted!  It was worth ever single dollar. 

I tasted the Lobster Mac & Cheese.  I wasn't crazy with the concept, but once I saw it when my friend ordered it.  I had to have a bite.  


My intuition was right and 1 bite was all I needed.  The top of the mac & cheese was nice and cheesy with the sweet lobster. Once you got to the layers underneath it was like a watery cheese sauce with lobster in it.  If you can imagine cheap Velveeta with expensive lobster in it.   It was semi flavorless and could have used some sort of seasoning...when in doubt, sprinkle with salt! 

The normal full menu (http://redhooklobsterpound.com/), boasts 2 different styles of lobster rolls.  The Maine Style - the one I ordered, and the Connecticut Style, which is just lobster and butter.  I would definitely go back and try the Connecticut.  

If you want to try the lobster truck, follow them on twitter, and find out their daily locations (@lobstertruckny)!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment