Nov 11, 2013

Smoothest Move

Anyone that knows me knows that I really have a hatred for smoothies, raw juice or any type of Jamba Juice concoction.  However, since really changing my diet and trying to be more aware of what I am putting in my body and the effect it has on my daily energy levels, I've ventured into smoothies.  While still experimenting, I've taken flavors and textures of drinks that I really like and tried to replicate them in healthy ways, i.e. milkshakes, pina coladas, frappacinos, etc.   Below are 3 recipes that I found to be amazing and really taste like you're drinking something bad - isn't it all a mind game anyway?!

Some of the tips I've picked up along the way...

  • Adding spinach barely alters the flavor at all and has soooo many health benefits.
  • If eating a breakfast smoothie as a meal replacement, adding chia seeds is a great way to boost the healthiness as well as they expand when wet, so they tend to make your smoothie more filling.
  • Soft tofu (normally gross) is a similar tasteless substitute to using greek yogurt for smoothies, but without a drop of dairy.  It's protein packed and gives a super smooth texture.
  • Coffee has only 5 calories - minus the cream and sugar.  If you love your morning joe, add coffee ice cubes to your morning smoothie.
  • Have a "creamy" addiction? Try adding unsweetened almond, or coconut milk to your smoothies.
  • Honey or agave are great ways to add sweetness without a lot of calories.
  • Cinnamon has AMAZING fat burning qualities (check out my fat burning spices post soon)
  • Adding cooked oats (not instant) also will add to the thickness and creaminess.
  • Freezing your fruit while it's fresh makes it last for weeks without going rotten.  It also eliminates the need to add additional ice cubes.
  • BLEND. BLEND. BLEND.  The worst thing can be an oddly chunky uneven smoothie.


FRAPPACINO BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
(when following the recipe it makes a little over 17oz)
5 ice cubes of your fave coffee (i used my keurig the night before and froze the cubes)
1 1/2 C. milk (i used unsweetened almond)
1/2 banana (fresh or frozen)
2 tsp nut butter (almond, peanut, sunflower, etc)
1 tsp cinnamon (insert fave flavor here, nutmeg, vanilla extract, cocoa powder) 
1 tsp honey or agave
1 tsp ground flax seed or chia seeds
Blend until smooth


COCONUT SPINACH MADNESS
I invented this so there are no measurements - wing it to taste!
Coconut milk (I prefer GOYA canned than Silk)
Spinach
Honey
Vanilla Extract
1/2 Frozen Banana
2 spoonfuls of cooked Oatmeal
Blend until smooth

VEGAN VANILLA MILKSHAKE SMOOTHIE
1/2C. soft tofu (soft has more protein, not the extra soft)
1C. vanilla soy milk (or almond)
1 whole frozen banana
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
Blend until smooth


No comments:

Post a Comment