Nov 4, 2013

Wagyu Beef....It's What's For Dinner

I've come across this interesting meat called Wagyu Beef, so I figured I would share since I'm sure you will soon notice it on many menus as it gains popularity.  I first saw it as a Wagyu rib burger at an amazing restaurant in Harlem, The Cecil -- which I will detail later on this month.  Trust me, that post is not something you want to miss.

Back to the beef...

The word itself, Wagyu, literally translates to 'Japanese Cow'.  It is arguably one of the best types of cattle to receive your cuts of beef.  It's known for it's high marbling of fat, and can be very costly.  Upwards of $100 per pound.  The marbling comes from the muscle being interspersed with the monounsaturated fat that give the "butter-like, melt in your mouth" texture.  Rumor has it that these cows are massaged with sake and even fed beer in order to produce the best beef on the planet.   The most familiar form of this beef in America is the famed, American Style Kobe beef.  The Kobe beef is the product of the Wagyu cattle bred with the All-American Angus cattle.  Next time you see Wagyu on the menu, I urge you to order it.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment