Jan 12, 2012

SPOTLIGHT with Chef JJ

I had the honor of interviewing friend, and professional Chef, Joe Johnson.  Just to say a little bit before diving into the thick of it, the man known as Chef JJ is the 1st winner of Rocco's Dinner Party on BRAVO, chef at Morgan Stanley, and creator of the show Kids Love Cooking with Cheff JJ.  Find the interview below:

BE: How do you describe yourself as a chef?
JJ: A "What's In Your Fridge" kind of chef.  Food is my expression. I don't want to be characterized by any one type of food.  Coming from a Caribbean and African American background, my choices are endless.

BE: Tell me about Oatmeal Juice Joy and where can we find it?
JJ:  Well I'm currently in the process of getting my label approved by the FDA.  Oatmeal Joy is a drink that has a consistency a little thicker than milk.  Its totally natural and vitamin efficient.  Not only does it have a
     15 day shelf live but it can also be used as a meal replacement.
It started at work, I made some for my menu, and it instantly was a hit.  I decided to bottle it and try to get it on shelves.
     You can't find it anywhere yet, since it is still in the approval process with the FDA.  However, I would love to have it in all grocery stores, especially those low-income communities.

BE: Is there a reason why?
JJ:  Basically, I want something that will be good and healthy. Something that even kids would enjoy drinking.  There needs to be more healthy, taste good options everywhere, but especially these communities.

BE: You mentioned it being kid friendly as well as on your website you discuss a show: Kids Love Cooking with Cheff JJ.  Are you hoping to aim your food/brand towards kids?
JJ: I want to be the voice of food through kids.  Making food fun, healthy and easy.  On one of my shows I put skittles and beets in front of one of the kid chefs and I make them taste 1 at a time and ask which is sweeter.  We know, no kid is going to admit that the beet is actually sweeter than candy, but 9 out of 10 times they say 'Wow that beet is really sweet'.  It's the awareness that may help their parent choose more healthy food if the kid suggests it.  Or if they hear 'beets' they are more inclined to eat them, because they remember how sweet they are.

BE: Any kids cookbooks in the works?
JJ:  Of course, cookbooks, possibly a restaurant, Oatmeal Joy . . . I have a lot of things in the works.  Not to mention a Food Social Network: Ur Palate.

BE: What's the deets of this restaurant?
JJ: Well it's just in talk and location shout phase, but it would basically be a Wine & Burger Bar.  With all types of different burgers, crab and lobster burgers, chicken, fish and all paired with different wines.  It will be a new spin on American food, and will include non-burger menu items as well.

BE: Sounds like my kind of place. If you would send me to any other restaurants to eat in NYC, where would u recommend?
JJ: 1.) Gotham Bar & Grill 2.) Alta 3.) Danji (order the KFC Chicken - to die for) 4.) Thai Market  

BE: Are these million dollar restaurants or places we can actually try and not break our banks?
JJ: They are restaurants with great food.  Price isn't an issue when I decide on great places to eat.  I would rate taste over price any day.  But for the record Danji is very affordable!

BE: Just what we needed to know.  Thanks so much Chef JJ for your time and sharing your thoughts with my readers!
JJ: Anytime!

You can find Chef JJ at the 1st annual Kids Food Festival in Bryant Park, January 21 & January 22  and sometimes hanging at Nectar Wine Bar (they have a $20 brunch with unlimited wine/sangria), the links, including his website, are below:

http://kidsfoodfestival.com/
http://www.nectarwinenyc.com/
http://chefjoejohnson.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment